This 5-star Honey Garlic Chicken is made in the slow cooker and is perfect for any weeknight meal. It’s kid-friendly and made with 5 simple ingredients.
This honey garlic chicken (crock pot) is a Fit Foodie Finds reader favorite. So many of you have made this dish time and time again and we hope you love it!
This crock pot honey garlic chicken is flavorful, sweet, and spicy all at the same time and is made with just 5 ingredients. Slow cook the chicken in the sauce on high for 2-3 minutes or on low for 4-5.
“I have been making this recipe for a couple years and it is one of my absolute favorite meals because it is so convenient and delicious!! It’s made with ingredients I always have on hand and is very low effort with the crock pot. I also recently started to make it as a freezer meal to give to friends with newborns and have gotten asked for the recipe multiple times! You won’t regret making this one!!!” -Kenna
What is in honey garlic chicken?
You read that correctly, this amazing crock pot honey garlic chicken is made with only 5 ingredients.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts: we’re using chicken breast, but you’re more than welcome to use boneless skinless chicken thighs instead.
- Minced garlic: you’re going to need 3 whole tablespoons of minced garlic. Trust us.
- Honey: we love that honey is an all-natural sweetener. Plus, it pairs quite nicely with soy sauce and garlic.
- Soy sauce (or tamari): soy sauce adds a great savory flavor and also has a decent amount of salt in it.
- Red chili garlic sauce: want to add some heat, but not too much spice? A little red chili garlic sauce goes a long way.
What does honey garlic chicken taste like?
This honey garlic chicken recipe is the perfect combination of sweet and spicy. The honey balances out the chili sauce to make a sticky and delicious sauce.
What type of chicken do I use in honey garlic chicken?
We use chicken breasts for this honey garlic chicken recipe. If you are a dark meat kind of person, feel free to use chicken thighs (boneless or bone-in).
Do I need to brown of the chicken before it goes in the slow cooker?
There is no need to brown the chicken before it cooks in the slow cooker.
Why is my crock pot chicken so watery?
As your chicken cooks inside the covered slow cooker, it lets off steam. This steam condenses on the bottom of the lid and drips back onto the chicken making it seem “watery.”
What is honey garlic chicken made of?
Honey garlic chicken is a simple, yet flavorful recipe made with chicken breasts, garlic, honey, and soy sauce, and a little chili garlic sauce for heat.
Is honey garlic chicken spicy?
Most honey garlic chicken recipes are mild in spice, but you can add chili garlic sauce or sriracha to kick up the heat.
Honey Garlic Chicken Instant Pot Instructions
- Place chicken breast and honey garlic sauce into your Instant Pot.
- Cover the Instant Pot and cook on high pressure for 8-10 minutes. Quick release.
- Remove the chicken from the Instant Pot and use 2 forks to shred.
- Thicken sauce by removing 1/4 cup of sauce and whisking it with 1/2 tablespoon of cornstarch. Pour the sauce and shredded chicken back into the Instant Pot and mix.
- Turn on the sauté feature and bring the sauce to a boil to activate the cornstarch.
- Once thickened, serve immediately.
How to Store Honey Garlic Chicken
Store this honey garlic chicken in an air-tight container for 5-7 days in the refrigerator. We recommend keeping the honey garlic chicken separate from other ingredients (rice, veggies, etc.).
Freezer Meal Instructions
This honey garlic chicken is a great freezer meal if you are meal-prepping for yourself or any loved ones.
- Create honey garlic sauce by mixing together minced garlic, honey, soy sauce and red chili garlic sauce until the honey has dissolved.
- Then, place the chicken breast into a freezer-safe gallon-sized bag and pour sauce on top.
- Remove as much air from the bag as possible and seal tightly.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
Want to learn how to reheat this freezer meal? Check out how here.
You can easily turn this slow cooker chicken breast recipe into an amazing chicken meal prep by pairing it with your favorite grain and stir-fried veggies.
First, create your honey garlic sauce. Whisk together minced garlic, honey, soy sauce, and red chili garlic sauce un the honey has fully dissolved.
Next, place chicken breast onto the bottom of your slow cooker. Then, pour the sauce over the chicken.
Turn slow cooker to high and cook for 2-3 hours OR low and cook for 4-5 hours.
Once your chicken is fully cooked (165ºF internally) and tender, remove the chicken from the slow cooker and use 2 forks to shred.
If you wish to thicken the sauce, remove 1/4 cup of the liquid from the slow cooker and whisk in 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch until it dissolved. Then, pour that back into the slow cooker and mix until combined.
Then, add the chicken back into the crockpot and mix it with the sauce. Cover and let cook for 10 more minutes on high so that the sauce can fully thicken.
Serve with your favorite grain and vegetable. Top with sesame seeds and green onion.
Tips & Notes
- Nutrition is just for the chicken.
- Cornstarch is optional, but your sauce will be thin if you don’t use it.
- This recipe was slightly updated on January 19, 2022. Nothing major was changed.
Calories: 214kcal Carbohydrates: 26g Protein: 25g Fat: 3g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 23g