There’s nothing like a good savory stuffing to round out a special meal, right? It’s a great side-dish to a holiday meal, Sunday night dinner, or potluck dinner. It’s easy to make a completely plant-based baked stuffing recipe (or dressing), such as this vegan Cornbread Stuffing with Cranberries. My all-time favorite stuffing recipe is a rich, flavorful cornbread stuffing, like my mother would make. So this rich, flavorful, yet healthy Cornbread Stuffing with Cranberries highlights the delicious flavors of home-baked cornbread, rustic whole grain bread, leeks, mushrooms, rosemary, walnuts, and cranberries. Serve it with my Lentil Patties with Mushroom Sauce to make it an impressive meal!
Growing up in Arkansas, my mother’s family enjoyed cornbread as a daily accompaniment to their meals, considering corn was the primary grain they grew on their farm. She always made a batch of cornbread the day before, then chopped it into her cornbread stuffing, mixing it with sautéed onions and celery, and an aromatic broth. I turned to my mother’s family traditions and added a few of my own touches to this absolutely delicious recipe—rosemary from my garden, tart-jewel tone cranberries, leeks, mushrooms, and nutty walnuts. This recipe just keeps on giving, as it’s delicious the next day too!
Check out my Instagram video to learn how to make this recipe.
This easy, vegan Cornbread Stuffing with Cranberries is rich with the flavors of cornbread, leeks, mushrooms, celery, cranberries, rosemary and walnuts. Perfect meal for the holidays, or a simple home-cooked country dinner at home.
- Make one batch (9×9-inch) vegan cornbread according to package directions or recipe instructions. When cornbread is done, set aside and cool slightly.
- While cornbread is baking, place whole wheat bread on a baking dish in the oven and toast until brown and dry (about 8 minutes)—do not burn.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet and add leek, garlic, and celery, sautéing for 9 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, rosemary, cranberries, walnuts and black pepper, and sauté for an additional 4 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Slice 3/4 of the batch of cornbread into small cubes (about 1 inch square). Use the remaining cornbread to enjoy for other uses (serve it with soup or chili).
- Slice the whole wheat toast into small cubes (about 1 inch square).
- Transfer the cornbread and whole wheat cubes to a large mixing bowl. Add sauteed vegetable mixture and gently toss.
- Add vegetable broth, 1/2 cup at a time, while gently tossing. Add just enough broth to achieve a moist (but not soggy) mixture, with all liquid absorbed. Taste and season with salt, if desired.
- Spray a large (3 quart) casserole dish or baking dish with nonstick cooking spray, and transfer the stuffing to the dish.
- Place in the oven, and bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.
*If you use a cornbread mix, follow directions but use plant-based milk and an egg replacement to make this recipe vegan.
To make this recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free cornbread and bread.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 205
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 224 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 25 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 6 g
Keywords: cornbread stuffing, cornbread stuffing recipe
For other plant-based side-dishes, check out some of my favorites:
Vegan Broccoli Walnut Au Gratin
Oat Cranberry Pilaf with Pistachios
Balsamic Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprouts with Farro
Easy Scalloped Potato White Bean Skillet
Quinoa Risotto with Kale and Pistachios