Nothing spells comfort quite like butternut squash and brussel sprouts! So give this healthy, delicious, seasonal Balsamic Roasted Butternut Squash and Brussel Sprouts with Farro recipe a try. These veggies offer so much caramelized, savory goodness when roasted and paired together, as they are in this simple roasted vegetable side dish. The golden hue of butternut squash is a calling card for its beta carotene content, and the pungent flavor of brussel sprouts foreshadows its potent sulfur compounds—both are powerful antioxidants linked with health protection. So, if you’re on the lookout for some inspiring vegan butternut squash recipes and brussel sprouts recipes, you came to the right place! Best of all, these veggies are in season during the cooler fall and winter months, when fresh produce offerings may not be as widely available. In fact, this roasted brussel sprouts and butternut squash side dish is perfect for your holiday menu. The combination of these vegetables with farro—a whole grain, ancient wheat traced back to Italy—makes this recipe a satisfying dish in one—just serve it with a plant protein, such as Grilled Spicy Sesame Tofu, for a simple, nutritionally balanced meal. Plus, the combination of vegetables and farro means this dish is off the charts in levels of heart- and gut-healthy fibers. If you’re looking for more information on how to cook farro, check out my farro blog here.
This Balsamic Roasted Butternut Squash and Brussel Sprouts with Farro recipe is also a great addition for your holiday table, including Thanksgiving and Christmas. I bring a big dish to my Thanksgiving potluck, and it is a big hit among everyone: vegetarians, vegans, and omnivores alike. Bring it to your next potluck or party and watch it become the most popular side dish at the party. If you’re in a rush, use pre-cut squash, available at many grocery stores.
Is farro gluten free?
The comforting marriage of butternut squash, brussel sprouts and farro come together in this simple, plant-based (vegan) recipe for Balsamic Roasted Butternut Squash and Brussel Sprouts with Farro, which is wonderful for a rustic meal or your holiday table.
- 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, cubed
- 1 pound fresh brussel sprouts, trimmed, halved
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped pecans
- Bring broth to boil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add farro, cover, and simmer for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until just tender. Do not overcook. Replace moisture lost to evaporation with additional liquid, if needed. Drain any leftover broth from farro and set aside.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 F.
- Place butternut squash and Brussels sprouts in a large baking dish (9 × 13 “).
- To make balsamic vinaigrette: Mix balsamic vinegar, olive oil, mustard, sage, garlic, salt, black pepper together in a small dish.
- Toss vinaigrette into vegetables with tongs to distribute ingredients.
- Place baking dish on the top shelf of the oven. Cook for about 30 minutes, until vegetables are barely tender, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Remove the baking dish of vegetables from the oven, toss in cooked farro, and sprinkle with pecans. Return to oven and cook for an additional 10 minutes, uncovered, until golden brown and tender.
- Serve immediately.
- Makes 6 servings
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 203
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 53 mg
- Fat: 7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 34 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 5 g
Keywords: butternut squash, brussels sprouts, vegan squash recipe
For other vegetable side dishes, check out the following:
Maple and Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Roasted Orange Ginger Carrots
Broccoli Walnut Au Gratin
Mashed Potatoes and Heirloom Carrots with Basil, Garlic, and Olive Oil
Roasted Rosemary Potatoes and Tomatoes
Grilled Lemon Cilantro Shishito Peppers